Boards and executive teams meet to chart the future.
Why this? Why now?
- Strategic thinking and planning answer the question, “Why change?” and “Where are we headed?”
- Answering these questions together helps to build confidence and to relieve the stress of feeling consumed by tactical emergencies.
- Thinking critically about the future builds a foundation of shared understanding and personal meaning.
What does strategic thinking and planning look like?
- Build shared sense of urgency and commitment through participation in establishing targets for collective results.
- Reflect on important lessons learned about past “hits” and “misses”.
- Share perspectives and information about the trends in the internal and external business environment that impact your organization.
- Engage in possibilities thinking to surface strategies outside the worn list of tired and familiar answers.
- Reestablish clarity and agreement on the allocation of resources.
- Create an opportunity to ask for and offer help to meet requirements to achieve targeted results.
- Commit to follow-up to honestly assess, acknowledge and celebrate progress.